Skip to main content

Value And P/E

         In Assam, we have seen that lots of people talk about the stock price but no one is concerned about the valuation of the company. Everybody is talking about "aji 100 asil kaile 110 hoi jabo"; " abbe 2000 eta share r dam emn dami company kom dami share ko" . But the main thing is not the price of the share; it is all about the valuation of the company. No one is interested in reading a line about what the fucking P/E, P/B, ROE, and ROCE are ?

         Let's first look at the "dami share kom dami share" concept. Consider A and B to be two companies. A has a $100 share price and B has a $2,000 share price. Which one is "dami share kom dami share"?? Just think for a moment .If A having number of share 400 and B having number of share 20. In both cases, the market capitalization of both companies will be the same. 

Market Cap= Share price x number of share

 

For Company A=100x400=40,000

For Company B=2000x20=40,000

            It shows that it is not about the price of the share; it is all about the market cap of the company. I don’t know much about the market, if I scale my market knowledge on a scale of 0-10 , I will score less than 1. But this one is a simple concept that anyone can understand. If you ask me, I would choose Company B because the number of shares is lower, so liquidity is lower, and traders will avoid such stocks, which will help the company weather the turbulent market conditions.

            Let's see which one is the most expensive. Consider another scenario for these two companies: they both have the same market capitalization of $40,000 but make different profits. Let company A make $3,000 in profit and company B make $8,000 in profit. Then I will prefer company A. Now check how the P/E of these companies will express it.

Here for A

Market Cap=40,000

Share price=100

No of share= 400

Profit =3000

 

        Fist we have to calculate Profit per share, that is Earning Per Share(EPS)= total profit/no of share=3000/400=7.5

  Now the P/E, which is Price to earning Ratio, P/E= Share price/EPS=100/7.5=13.33

 

Here for B

Market Cap=40,000

Share price=2000

No of share= 20

Profit =1800

 

    Fist we have to calculate Profit per share, that is Earning Per Share(EPS)= total profit/no of share=1800/20=90

    Now the P/E, which is Price to earning Ratio, P/E= Share price/EPS=2000/90=22.22

 

        Here In the case of two companies with the same market cap but different profits, we can tell which one is undervalued by looking at its P/E ratio. So it is necessary to see the P/E before investing in any company.

Now the next thing comes that how-to analysis P/E… In Next

 

(I write it just for my fun and record. I am not a sebi registered analysis or planner.)

-       Shaishab

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

External Validation Is Quietly Increasing Stress in Today’s Generation

In today’s generation, many people spend too much time worrying about what others will say. We think about how our lives look on Instagram, how many likes a post gets, and whether we appear successful enough in front of friends, classmates, and even strangers. But the truth is that this constant need for approval only adds pressure and slowly takes away our peace of mind. What matters more is the opinion of people who truly know us, especially our parents and family. Their support and understanding are far more important than the random approval of people who only see our lives from the outside. Still, many of us get trapped in the habit of measuring ourselves through external validation. The more we chase it, the more anxious we become. This pressure does not stop with social media. It reaches into our education, our careers, and even the way we judge ourselves. We start thinking that marks, college names, job titles, and salary define our worth. In reality, this kind of thinking crea...

The Psychology Behind Buying Price: A Lesson from Rakesh Jhunjhunwala

I often listen to interviews with people I admire while working out, walking, or whenever I have some free time. I may not always listen to an entire interview, but I usually learn at least one valuable idea from it. Some interviews are so insightful that I listen to them repeatedly. Recently, while listening to an interview with the legendary investor Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, one thought particularly caught my attention: the buying price is extremely important in investing . This idea is not merely about buying at a lower price; it is also about psychology. When I purchase a fundamentally strong business at a sensible valuation, I feel more comfortable during market declines. That comfort helps me think rationally instead of reacting emotionally to every price movement. I experienced this myself. I bought shares of a company at an average price of approximately ₹150. I am not disclosing its name because this article is not a stock recommendation. The price later rose to nearly ₹670 and th...

Compounding L to Cr

Initially, the magic of compounding cannot be seen in a small portfolio. It begins to display its magic once it reaches a certain level. All that is necessary for that is penitence, discipline, and an optimistic mind. Many negative factors can come, but being invested in the market can make a great deal of money.      Let's move on to the primary topic. When we reach 10L, we begin to observe its outcome. The rule of 72 states that if we have a 24% compound annual return, we can double our money in 3 years ( To know the rule of 72, click  here   ) . I know that 24% a year is not an easy task for regular people, but it is not impossible. Such a return is easily achievable if someone invests their time and energy and is truly passionate about it.      Let's say on 10L we get a 24% return. Then, after a year, we will get using the compounding formula,           Here, P= 10,00,000/-       ...